Environmentally Responsible Swimming Pool and Spa Equipment
From Pentair Pool Products®
Introducing the Eco SelectTM Brand
Eco-Friendly Equipment for Pools and Spas As the global leader in pool and spa equipment, Pentair Water Pool and Spa® is making a strong commitment to develop the most environm
entally responsible products available. The new Eco SelectTM brand is the keystone of this green program to meet the dual objectives of a growing number of pool owners to save money and make more eco-friendly choices.
It starts with product development. We have dedicated senior staff whose sole mission is to assure that new and re-engineered products are the most eco-friendly and economically attractive on the market.
You’ll see the Eco Select brand associated with several existing products and
systems that already meet these objectives. These products save energy, conserve
water, reduce noise, or otherwise contribute to a more environmentally responsible pool equipment system. In every case, a product that earns the Eco Select brand is clearly our “greenest” and most efficient choice. The rest of this booklet will introduce you to the products that have earned the Eco Select brand.
We hope you’ll join us in embracing more eco-friendly poolscapes by choosing
Eco Select products for your swimming pool. If you have any questions, please
contact your pool builder or local Pentair pool and spa equipment dealer.
Quick Reference Guide to Eco Select™ Products Click to Download Presentation
Check marks (3) indicate direct contributions to reduce
environmental impact and plus signs (+) indicate indirect contributions.
Variable Speed Pumps
Here are realistic estimates when comparing IntelliFlo® pumps to a
traditional pump running between 6 and 12 hours per day at various
utility rates (in dollars per kilowatt hour [kWh]) in a 20,000 gallon pool.
• At $0.15/kWh estimated savings range from $621 to $1,356 per year.
• At $0.20/kWh estimated savings range from $827 to $1,808 per year.
• At $0.30/kWh estimated savings range from $1,241 to $2,712 per year.
A note about utility rates
Posted rates and effective rates are not the same thing. Your base posted electricity rate
may be 10¢ per kilowatt hour (kWh) or less. So why are we starting our calculations at
15¢ per kWh? We’ve taken into account the many additional factors that make your
effective rate higher:
- The stated rate is only for electricity used. It does not include user fees and taxes that vary by state and provider.
- In some states, rates increase substantially as a consumer uses additional electricity beyond a set baseline.
- Many providers assess a surcharge per kWh during the summer, because demand for electricity is higher.
Residential Pool Pump Savings Calculator*
High Performance Heaters
Best-in-class energy efficiency
- High efficiency rating makesthese heaters extremely economical to operate. If your pool heater is more than 5 years old, chances are a MasterTemp could quickly pay for itself in utility bill savings.
- Optimized fuel/air mix provides superior efficiency and faster heat up.
- In fact, our heaters outperform current industry standards for air pollution exhaust. Super quiet operation won’t intrude on pool leisure time
Built to last longer
- Tough composite exterior won’t corrode; stands up to both heat and weather.
D.E. (Diatomaceous Earth) Filters
More efficient water flow through Clean & Clear Plus cartridge filters may allow the use of smaller pumps or lower pump speeds to minimize energy use
- Unique internal flow path ensures optimum filtration while reducing overall back-pressure.
- When you rinse the cartridges rather than backwash, water use is reduced by hundreds, if not thousands, of gallons per year.
- Large-capacity cartridges provide maximum filter surface area for greater dirt-trapping capacity and fewer cleanings.
Durable construction provides longer service life
- Chemical-resistant, fiberglass-reinforced polypropylene tank provides exceptional strength.
Pressure-Side Automatic Pool Cleaner
Automated Color-Changing Lights
- Equipmentschedules are easily altered to account for changesin pool usage, weather, and other factors that impact overall equipment performance.
- Equipment isn’t accidentally left on for extended periods, thereby wasting energy (for example: lights, cleaners, heaters).
- Control systems make it easier to take advantage of off-peak, seasonal utility rates.
Automatic Chlorine Generator
As you’ve seen, there is a compelling “green case” for our products under the Eco SelectTM brand. Every one of these products can lay claim to saving energy, water, reducing noise, maintaining air quality, or delivering combinations of these environmental benefits.
Perhaps most compelling of all is when you link these “best in breed” choices into a single green system. Not only do you deliver individual products that are more environmentally responsible than other choices, there can be synergistic effects as well
- Optimize pump speed for your filter choice and you’ll automatically improve the effectiveness of the filter media. It will trap more dirt by allowing better utilization of the media’s surface area, postpone pressure increases, and extend the time between cleanings. You minimize energy use on the front end, minimize wash water use on the back end, and get cleaner water all along the way.
- Optimize flow to the heater and it heats water more quickly and efficiently so run times may be reduced and energy saved
- Run the filter pump longer at lower speed/flow for energy savings, and you make sanitization chemicals more effective when circulation intervals are extended…this improves water quality with less total chemical consumption
- Variable speed pump capability minimizes energy use by solar systems that require high pressure to initiate but less pressure to maintain circulation.
- Optimize the performance of pressure-side cleaners by adjusting the output flow of a variable speed pump rather than relying on an over-sized conventional pump or booster pump-by matching the flow to the collection capability of the cleaners, you optimize
- cleaning while minimizing energy use.
Your pool professional will help you optimize your system for peak performance to minimize your energy and water use.
Energy-Saving Pool Tips
To support your efforts to make your pool and spa as economical and eco-friendly as possible, below are some changes you can make that can help conserve energy and water while reducing your operating costs.
Heating & Heat Loss
- Reduce heat loss by using a pool cover. According to the U.S. Department of Energy, savings of 50%–70% are possible.
- Fencing, hedges, landscaping, and cabanas that shelter your pool from prevailing winds will further reduce heat loss.
- If you use your pool only on weekends, reduce your heater or heat pump thermostats settings by eight to ten degrees during the week.
- When leaving for vacation for more than a week, unless freezing conditions are expected, turn off the pool heater or heat pump.
- According to the National Swimming Pool Institute and the American Red Cross, the most healthful swimming temperature is 78°F. Reducing your heater or heat pump thermostat
- to maintain a 78°F or lower temperature will also help conserve energy.
- Replace your pool pump with a more energy-efficient model.
-New variable speed pumps with permanent magnet motors and digital controls can save as much as 90% in utility costs compared to one- or two-speed pumps with induction motors.
-If using an energy-efficient one- or two-speed pump, make sure your pump is sized to your pool’s requirements.
- Reduce pump speed to reduce energy use. Remember the pump law: reduce speed by half and energy is just one-eighth of what was previously used.
- For good water maintenance, circulate water through filter only once per day. Additional cycles are generally unnecessary and waste energy.
- Run your pool’s filtration system during off-peak hours when electricity demand is lower, generally between 8 p.m. and 10 a.m.
- Keep intake grates clear of debris. Clogged drains require the pump to work harder.
- To obtain maximum filtration and energy efficiency, clean your filter regularly, as required.
NORTH BAY WATER SERVICES, INC. SERVICING
6180 Egret Court, Suite A., Benicia, C A 94510
Thank You for visiting our Blog!